Tuesday, October 12, 2010

“Big Boy” Bed

Okay, so it’s a toddler bed, but it was a big step, mostly for me.  Carlos has wanted to switch him from the crib for a long time because the other two boys were in beds at a younger age.  But that was because they had to be as we needed the crib for the next baby.  I was enjoying the fact that Zach stayed in bed when I put him there and didn’t want to add that battle to our bedtime, which, as I have to do it by myself almost every night, can be very stressful.  After talking with Zach’s occupational therapist about climbing into bed on his own and then transferring once he’s in his wheelchair, I decided that it was time.  I didn’t realize how excited Zach would be.  There are a lot of pictures, but they really tell the story all by themselves.

  IMG_2850IMG_2854 IMG_2855 IMG_2851 IMG_2857 IMG_2858 IMG_2859 IMG_2860 IMG_2861 IMG_2862  IMG_2864   IMG_2863

Such a sweet boy!  And he has done great every night and at naptime.  He’s always excited to go to sleep and even the few times he’s not, he still stays in bed.  He gets out by himself and can almost climb in by himself.  He did fall out the first night.  I heard a little thump but thought it was one of the other boys bumping the wall in their sleep.  A minute later, Zach came scooting out with a huge pout on his face.  And that boy has the biggest pout I’ve ever seen!  He cried a little when I put him back in but did okay the rest of the night. 

I think it’s just one more step in helping him to become independent and able to do whatever he wants.  I need to remember that he is my little boy now, not my baby!  And he definitely talks enough to help me remember!  One of his favorites this week is, “Don’t Mommy!  Mommy Don’t!”  He’s also discovered Diego and LOVES him!  He even sings, “Diego, Diego, Diego.  Go, Diego, Go!”  It’s so sweet! 

2 comments:

Leigh and Andy said...

What a little sweetie!! That smile! You can see it all over his face, how proud and happy he is about his new bed! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Zachy! What a great new bed- he's doing so, so well!!! Love you all!